Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My journey through ‘justification’

When I first starting reading about Paul and justification I devoured books by R.C. Sproul, Wayne Grudem, James White and other reformed authors who affirmed the great Protestant creed of sola fide or justification by faith alone. (In hindsight, I wish that Systematic Theologians would learn a lot more about second-temple Jewish backgrounds, Jewish sectarianism, and diversity in earliest Christianity rather than resorting to atemporal theological categories and fancy Latin words straight up).

In seminary I had to write a paper on Romans 4:25 – ‘He was handed over for our sins and raised for our justification’. Here I was faced with the question, how on earth does the resurrection of Christ relate to justification? In the paper I rambled a few things I got mainly from John Murray but was intrigued by the topic all the more, to the point that I wrote my honours thesis on ‘The Relationship Between Justification and Resurrection in Paul with Special Reference to Romans’.

I was always taught that justification is largely a function of the cross (i.e. justified by his blood, Rom. 5.9) and that the resurrection was merely the proof that we had been justified. But as I read Richard Gaffin’s Resurrection and Redemption, Mark Seifrid’s Christ our Righteousness and read through the Pauline letters more carefully, I came to see that God’s justifying verdict is more intimately bound up with the resurrection of Christ. I began to see Jesus’ resurrection as his justification and believers are ‘justified’ in so far as they participate in the justification of the Messiah. Passages such as Rom. 4.25; 1 Cor. 15.17 and 1 Tim. 3.16 (obliquely Rom. 5.18-21; 8.10-11) I think affirmed that point. That led to the question as to where does imputation fit in? I didn’t know. And like Calvin and Gaffin I was quite content to hold justification through union with Christ and justification through imputation side by side without understanding how they relate together. The conclusions of this study were published in my article in Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology.

Then I began to be vexed by some entity called the New Perspective on Paul. I had already decided to leave Paul for Jesus to do historical Jesus studies – so it wasn’t a priority. Yet I found myself drawn to the NPP esp. its attention to historical context and exegetical detail – however, I was disappointed by what appeared to me to be a somewhat reductionist approach to justification, namely, making justification out to be something like covenant status or identity legitimation. The idea works quite well in Gal. 2.11-14 and Rom. 3.27-31, but it does not hold in Romans 5 or James 2 – so I never quite caught the NPP bug in its entirety although I remain an admirer from a distance.

Around this time I read Gundry’s article on imputation in Books and Culture and I had to concede that Gundry was mostly right. There is no explicit text in the NT that says that believers are justified through the imputation of Christ’s righteousness. I also attended some lecturers by D.A. Carson on the NPP at the Sydney Presbyterian college in 2001 where he espoused a view of different domains of discourse (i.e. exegesis and theology) whereby imputation still held sway at the theological level – a view I find convincing. Soon after John Piper’s book Counted Righteous in Christ came out and, as much as I love Piper, I was not convinced that he had refuted the arguments of Gundry. With that in tow I wrote my JETS piece arguing that at the exegetical level Paul speaks of justification in terms of union with Christ not of imputation. However, imputation could be said to implicit in the representative roles of Adam and Christ and the language of the NT e.g. logizomai does move towards that direction. If someone were to ask Paul how is the believer justified, a question he addresses, he would reply ‘through union with Christ’. If someone were to ask Paul how does union with Christ justify, a question he never directly addresses, I think something along the lines of imputation would be close to his mind. During the final stages of writing the article I was amazed to find on the internet a draft paper by Don Garlington which was basically arguing the same point I was – union with Christ not imputation holds at the exegetical level. I differ from Garlington on several points (e.g. I don’t think justification is transformative) but it confirmed to me that I (or we) were on the right line.

Where I am at now. I see myself firmly within the Reformed tradition, however, I like 1 Thess. 5.21 and I believe we should ‘test all things and hold onto that which is good' so I am open to appropriating the many good and keen insights gained from the NPP and elsewhere. I see justification as:

1. Eschatological: the verdict of judgment day has been declared in the present
2. Forensic: it refers to our status, not to our moral state
3. Effective: although moral sanctification cannot be subsumed under justification, neither can they be absolutely separated since justification remains a far more holistic term in relating to the whole of salvation than many realize (cf. Seifrid)
4. Covenantal: justification is the nexus through which one enters the messianic cosmopolitan community (cf. Kruse)

In sum, in justification God creates a new people, with a new status, in a new covenant as a foretaste of the new age!

3 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I too have been enamored with much of what New Perspective has taught- especially (and for me basically exclusively) with N.T. Wright, but have not been able to buy into everything. It is good to run across student/scholars like yourself who have read and can articulate this same sense further.

Unknown said...

I love Michael bird!

Unknown said...

Could not the imputation of righteousness be inferred from the presence of the indwelling Spirit of Christ within the believer?

On another note, I have read some of your papers and articles about the how both the cross and resurrection play a role in the justification of the believer. That which I am inclined to believe since I see this in a plain reading of the scriptures.
You wrote in "Justified by Christ's Resurrection..." the following, "Second, if the proposed thesis is correct then we must explain why Paul can speak of justification and salvation as occurring through the cross
without ever mentioning the resurrection.

My thoughts on what unify the cross and resurrection in the justification of the believer is that the "cross" is an eternal event that is a revelation of the eternal God in Christ. The cross is intrinsic to God's nature and character - just as eternal life (resurrection power for the believer) is intrinsic to God's nature and character. The cross has a threefold revelation in scripture. The cross existed in eternity because it is a part of who God is - "slain from the foundation of the world." It was revealed in human history in Christ's atoning sacrifice. And it is portrayed in Heaven (eternity) even now with the the clear evidence of the continuing nail prints in Christ's hands and feet - "I saw a law as it had been slain" - Revelation ch.5. Jesus is and shall always be both the crucified and resurrected savior. He carried the cross over into eternity for humanity - "there is still power in the blood." Paul speaks of the "message of the cross" which I believe speaks of the three-fold revelation of the cross - especially in I Corinthians 1&2. "Christ and him crucified", I think speaks of not only that Christ was crucified at a moment in history but that his crucifixion has eternal benefits that been made available for the believer through the resurrection from among the dead. "Crucified" on a number of occasions from Paul is in the Greek perfect tense which speaks of a completed event that has ongoing results. As you mentioned elsewhere and which I have preached in the past, the cross and resurrection are two side of the same coin. They cannot be separated and I don't think they can even be separated in the person and work of Christ even now who is the crucified, glorified Christ. The "message of the Cross" or "Christ and Him crucified" includes within it the message of the resurrection - for Paul is speaking about the cross in eternity past, in history and in eternity future. I don't know that that is the best way to say it. The "preaching of the cross" pertains to not only the historical event of Christ's crucifixion but it's ongoing eternal results. I think this is how Paul speaks of justification through the cross without ever mentioning the resurrection. He is speaking of a cross that has present ongoing results and eternal results through the resurrection.
Blessings in Christ!