Thursday, December 01, 2005

The doctor is in!

Today I received six little words from the University of Queensland Graduate school that has made my day:

"Congratulations - your award has been approved"

Yes, it is official - I am now doktorb!

It has been a long journey, from undergraduate studies at the Queensland Baptist College of Ministries to honours and Ph.D at the University of Queensland - 7 long, fun and hard working years For me it is a sharp contrast to remember that I couldn't even get into Uni after High School (my grades weren't good enough) and I'm now a doctor of philosophy.

People to thank along the way:

My wife Naomi, for her love, patience, long-suffering, affection and encouragment along the way.

My friends and family at Grace Bible Church, esp. Dave and Craig.

My teachers at QBCM esp., Jim Gibson, Les Ball and Jeff Pugh.

Advisor and examiners who got me to do the hard work - Rick Strelan, Bob Webb and Scot McKnight.

My colleagues at HTC who took me in on the good faith that my doctorate would be awarded in the near future. I hope I have vindicated their trust.

Ben Myers who's friendship this last couple of years has been very helpful and enriching: only a true friend will either help you move house or proof read stuff for you.

And, of course, the Calvinist in me means I have to finish with the words:

"May I boast not in my own academic achievements, but only in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Soli Deo Gloria

19 comments:

Loren Rosson III said...

Congratulations, Michael.

Craig (mars-hill) said...

I second that; congrats.

Jim said...

Hearty congratulations! Welcome to the club. It's not a very esteemed club though I have to warn you. When Barth received his honorary doctorate (he never earned one!) his daughter was asked what she thought, and she said "Papa's a doctor, but not the sort that can help someone". A funny little reminder about humility. ;-)

Best and congrats again!

Michael Pahl said...

Congratulations, Dr Bird! Well-deserved and well-earned...

Dr. Joseph Ray Cathey said...

Dear Dr. Bird!

Congrats and welcome to the faternity! Hope that all is well with you and your family!

God Bless
Merry Christmas
Joe

Sharad Yadav said...

Warmest congratulations to you, Mike! Now that you're a doctor, I'll have to send you some pics of some nasty polyps that I can't seem to get rid of.

Kevin P. Edgecomb said...

Congratulations, Dr. Bird!

J. B. Hood said...

Congratulations, Mike--well done.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mike! I am very encouraged by your Ph.D. award. I, myself would like to pursue Ph.D. in New Testament Studies. Thus, I am celebrating with you, although we have not never met before but I read your blog almost daily.

Blessings,

Celucien Joseph

Mark Owens said...

Congrats Dr Bird!!! By the way, I appreciate the final comments in your post:-)

Ben Myers said...

Well done and well deserved, Mike! All of us here at the University of Queensland are delighted as well. When I got my doctorate, Felicity started calling me "Doctor Daddy" -- which made me feel very prestigious indeed!

Alan Bandy said...

Congratulations Dr. Bird! As I write this comment I happen to be listening to the Hallelujah Chorus of Handel's Messiah. :)

Eddie said...

Congratulations!

So is it Dr Bird now or will Mike still suffice?

CJW said...

Congratulations Michael. Original, I know, but I'm sure you won't mind. Friends from church have a cockatiel 'Mr Bird' -- now i can distinguish the two of you!

Doug Green said...

Mike:
Good onya, Dr. mate! Celebrate with a hamburger ... with beetroot!
Doug

Rafael said...

You have well and truly earned our congratulations. Well done. I hope this is more of a beginning for you (rather than an ending).

Rafael (not a Calvinist)

Jimmy Archer said...

Congrats! That is just awesome.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! One of these years, I aspire to following into your doctoral footsteps :)

abcaneday said...

Congratulations, Mike!

It was also great to meet you in the heart of the AAR/SBL book exhibition hall in Philadelphia.

I have borne your greetings to Josh Jipp.

Blessings!