Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Insomnia, Church History, and Star Wars

I suffer from chronic insomnia, so I make the best of it by writing and reading from 9.00 p.m. - midnite most nights. Last night, however, I still couldn't get to sleep until 1.00 a.m. because I could not help but think of moments in Church History that could be adequately summarized by quotations from Star Wars. Either I have an unhealthy fixation on Star Wars for a man in his early 30s, or else I need to start taking some sleeping pills. Anyway, this is what went through my mind:

Justin Martyr to his disciple Tatian: "You were the chosen one Anacan, you were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them". [Incidentally, these are words that I shall repeat to Ben Myers if he ever turns into a Liberal!]

Marcion to the Bishop of Rome: "I've become more powerful than any Jedi!"

Paul to the Emperor Nero: "Strike me down Vader and you'll only make me twice as powerful".

Ignatius of Antioch writing letters to his chruches: "I am a jedi, as my father before me".

Author of the Gospel of Thomas explaining his literary work to his friends: "You must free yourself from the narrow and dogmatic view of the Jedi and embrace a more comprehensive understanding of the force".

What Cerinthius would say to Irenaeus: "Only a Sith Lord believes in absolutes".

1 comment:

Ben Myers said...

And if you say that to me when I become a notorious liberal, I will reply: ""Only a Sith Lord believes in absolutes." ;-)