Friday, November 07, 2008

Public Reading of Scripture

Today at chapel at HTC Andrew McGowan gave a good sermon on the public reading of Scripture (1 Tim. 4.13). A long time ago in Scottish churches you used to have the "lecture" which consisted of a Bible reading with commentary and then you would have the "sermon" as a separate event. Twenty years ago the Rev. Willy Still of Aberdeen was well-known for his 20 minute Bible readings and 90 minute sermons which arguably followed this model.

I think there is something to be said for having regular and systematic Bible readings in churches on Sundays in addition to the reading for the sermon. (1) In some more "liberal" churches where they have a lectionary you actually get more Bible reading than in some "evangelical" churches. (2) At Dingwall Baptist Church our current pastor, Bill Wilson, was a missionary in Malawi for ten years and he deliberately introduced a lectionary into some churches precisely because they were not getting regular preaching and teaching from the whole breadth of Scripture. (3) I think there is something to be said for the art of reading Scripture dramatically, powerfully, and movingly which is lost these days.

2 comments:

Alison B said...

Strongly agree Michael,

When I was studying at Griffith University in Queensland I studied film and media and acting. There are times when I wonder if that degree was a waste of time but it has helped me do two things: 1. I can set up a DVD for someone in a flash; and, 2. studying drama helped me to learn how to prepare and deliver dramatic reading of Scripture.

And now of course I'm studying another language and so I sound like a toddler again when I read the Bible (except without the cuteness of a child!). Good for the humility I guess but not great for dramatic presentations.

Andrew E. Courtis said...

Michael, this sounds like a valid and valuable point. This exposes the people of God to all of Scripture!