Sunday, September 03, 2006

Teaching and Preaching Hebrews

I'm in the process of reconsidering which NT courses to teach in the future at HTC. I'm seriously considering introducing a course on Hebrews and Revelation. And that of course leaves open which text books to use. Well, on Hebrews, I have to recommend these books:

Andrew Lincoln, Hebrews: A Guide (London:T&T Clark, 2006)



This is the best overview of the theology, themes and critical issues of Hebrews that I have seen to date. Lincoln is perhaps a little more optimistic about the application of rhetoric to Hebrews (but so is DeSilva), still, this is a solid read and absolutely ideal for students.

David A. DeSilva, Perseverance in Gratitude: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on the Epistle "to the Hebrews" (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2000).



A good commentary on Hebrews with excellent sections on Apostacy and Perseverance. DeSilva's articles in Tyndale Bulletin are also worth reading.

A mention in despatches should also be made about:

Craig Koester, Hebrews (AB; New York: Doubleday, 2001) [The only reason I chose DeSilva over this was because it was cheaper - otherwise it was equal in value].

Daniel Harrington, What are They Saying About Hebrews? (New York: Paulist Press, 2005)

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Mike,

Wish I could be in the class when you teach Hebrews. I think I may have to get a look at A.T. Lincoln's book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cliff

Nick Nowalk said...

Where's Lane's two volumes? Older, yes, but still the standard in the field.

Bryan L said...

I've found De Silva's book to be really helpful, insightful and different. Plus I found it at Half Priced Books, brand new for like 5 or 6 dollars. Using it next to Lane I didn't care for Lane as much. But what do I know.

Bill Victor said...

Have you checked out any work done by Dave Black at Southeastern Seminary in North Carolina. He has a fascinating theory on Pauline authorship on Hebrews. He is serious. I don't have any links, but you may be able to contact him through his website www.daveblackonline.com