Thursday, October 12, 2006

E.P. Sanders and Tendencies of the Synoptic Tradition


A new reprint of Sanders' classic book has just been released and is available at
Amazon.com for those interested.

Coincidentally, today was the day when I again taught the Synoptic Problem to my first year students - this is always an interesting day. The relevance of the topic always comes up as does the question of why God would give us Scripture in this way! And once again, after setting my students to study the Synoptic accounts of the parable of the mustard seed, most of them thought that the Farrer-Goulder-Goodacre theory had the most mileage!

3 comments:

Bryan Laramore said...

Hello, you don't know me but I was googling "JP Gabler" in search of a copy of his 18 century essay regarding Biblical Theology as a distince discipline. I happended to come across your March 2006 blog, I believe it was, and noticed how great your blog is and thought I'd send some encouragement your way. I'm writing a paper on Unity and Diversity in the Bible for my Hermeneutics class, any references or sources you might suggest? take care.

Michael F. Bird said...

BL,
Mate, find a copy of Gabler's essay in the Scottish Journal of Theology from the year (about) 1980, edited by two guys. It's a good read - Gabler is oft quoted but much misunderstood. On unity and diversity, you should read: Dunn on the book by the same title, also the essay by David Wenham in the volume on NT Theology by GE Ladd. Sometime about 2010 I hope to write a book on the subject myself! Thanks for your kind words.

Bryan Laramore said...

Thank you kindly sir. I shall certainly check them out. Good luck on the book writing! I intend to keep up with this blog and hopefully more info will come in the future about it!