Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Evangelical Missal

I am glad to say that I am co-operating with my friend Jim Hamilton in creating an Evangelical Missal, or a book of daily readings for Evangelicals that includes a written prayer, two portions of Scripture, a stanza from a hymn, and citation from a creed/confession/catechism. It is has been an immense blessing to myself to be preparing it as part of my quiet times. Here's an example which has as its theme the parousia of the Lord:

Prayer

Let grace come, and let this world pass away. Hosanna to the God (and the Son) of David! If any one is holy, let him come; if any one is not so, let him repent. Maranatha. Amen.
- Didache 10.6.

Scripture

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am (John 14:1-3).

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean (Revelation 19:11-14).

Hymn

Lo, He comes with clouds descending
Once for favoured sinners slain
Thousands thousand saints attending
Swell the triumph of His train
Alleluia! Alleleuia! God appears on earth to reign.
- Charles Wesley and Martin Madan

Confession

God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.
- BFM 2000, 10.

6 comments:

Chris Tilling said...

great stuff, I look forward to that.

Peter M. Head said...

Why would you call this a "missal"?

Michael F. Bird said...

Peter, defined broadly, yeah! Is there a better category?

Peter M. Head said...

A missal is a book of priestly prayers for saying the Mass.

Michael F. Bird said...

Now I see! Yep, I know the Catholic background since I used to work for a Catholic Chaplain in my Army-days and we used to do Bible readings and prayers from the missal every morning. So I've seen a missal used in contexts with no mass, which even as a Baptist I found enjoyable. I also like the idea of "sent" which stands behind "missal".

sujomo said...

Humpty Dumpty told Alice, "When I use a word, I mean it to mean what I want it to mean". If tanakh is used to referred to the Jewish Bible why not consider something like "CHAPOW". 'C' refers to creed, 'H' refers to hymn, 'P' refers to prayer and 'W' refers to word. 'A" and 'O' are significant vowels from Revelation.

Cheers, Sujomo