Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Scripture Memorization

When I first became a Christian, I was well discipled, and a young pastor met with me weekly and we did alot of Scripture memorization together (we used one of the those Navigators scripture memory packs). I now do alot of memory verses with my eldest daughter and I shall never forget how proud I was when she was able to recite the entire chapter of Revelation 5. These days I try (and struggle) to try memorize portions of the NT in Greek. I've done a bit of stuff on Rom. 3.21-26 but hope to learn all of the major christological passages by rote one day (Rom. 1.1-4; John 1.1-2; Heb. 1.1-3; Phil. 2.5-11, etc.). I think I read somewhere that Adolf Schlatter had memorized a fair bit of the Greek NT if not all of it. I tried to bribe a Greek class by promising that I've given them each a copy of my forthcoming commentary on Colossians/Philemon if they would memorize Rom. 3.21-26, but they didn't go for it (lazy sods). On the same subject read Dan Reid's post on memorization of NT Greek as well!

10 comments:

Danny Zacharias said...

all of my Greek student memorized the Lord's prayer for a bonus 10% on the semester. I imagine all of my class will this year as well. What certainly helped was a song :-) Though I can't take credit for this song as it was a student last year who put the prayer to song.

Andrew Faris said...

I'll memorize Rom. 3:21-25 in Greek for a free copy of your commentary...

Matt Evans said...

I'll memorize it too for a free commentary. I really need to get some good ones

Craig said...

One of my professors here at Princeton, Charles Bartow, told us a story that Bruce Metzger was reported to have memorized the enitre New Testament in Greek. A student one day decided to see if this was the case and went up to Dr. Metzger and asked him if it were true to which he replied, "most of the variants."

Tremonti said...

Mike,
I wished i was in that class of yours...i would be the first one to memorize for that book...and all that for a mangy 6 verses! (I dont read greek so i dont know...but if i did i thing memorizing just 6 verse to be a piece of cake hahaha).

Ben Myers said...

When Karl Barth was responding to questions during his American visit, the audience were amazed to hear him quoting large passages of the Greek NT from memory.

Steven Carr said...

Presumably the memorizating of Revelation 5 was done from a written text, rather than you saying the text and she learning from your voice.

I ask to find out if learning a text from an oral source is or is not much harder than learning a text from a written source.

Wayne Larson said...

I had to memorize and recite 100 lines of Homer's Iliad back in college. I hated it, but portions of it still rattle around in this brain some 25 years later.

danny said...

Sean McDonough had us memorize the first 8 verses of James in Greek at Gordon-Conwell. It was quite helpful.

Eilidh said...

thanks Michael...