Friday, December 08, 2006

The Bird-Book has Arrived!

Today I got an unexpected surprise when my book Jesus and the Origins of the Gentile Mission arrived in my pidgeon hole. Nearly five years of my life was dedicated to these 212 pages and it is a joy and relief to finally be able hold it in my little hands. I have something to show for my labours and I now have closure (well, until the book reviews come out). To be honest, I have been getting sick and tiried of writing books which do not see the light of day but exist only as a Word.docs on my CPU or in some "virtual" reality between my CPU and my editor's CPU. Who should I thank:

1. Lord Jesus Christ.
2. My dearest wife Naomi.
3. My children: Alexis and Alyssa.
4. Rick Strelan, Bobb Webb, Scot McKnight, and Peter Bolt.
5. My friends back at Grace Bible Church
6. Faculty and Staff at HTC who have helped to get it published.
7. My lecturers at Malyon College, esp. Jeff Pugh, Jim Gibson and Les Ball.
8. My thanks to the editorial team at T&T Clark.

In the words of the great pomo philosopher of the Matrix, the Oracle, "Everything that has a beginning, must have an end". I am glad that this project has now ended.

Of course I have four other books at various stages of production:

1. The Saving Righteousness of God (Paternoster)
2. Two Views of Christian Origins with James Crossley (SPCK)
3. The Faith of Jesus Christ with Preston Sprinkle (Paternoster)
4. 1 and 2 Esdras with Joel Willitts (Brill)

One down, four to go!

15 comments:

Danny Zacharias said...

Congrats Mike! Very cool.

Danny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mike! Now I just need to find $140 to buy the book! :-)

Michael

T. Baylor said...

Mike,

How do you find the time to produce so much material?

Michael F. Bird said...

Michael, remember, scholars do get a 50% discount!

Robert, know ye this: sleep is for the weak and TV is of the devil! Watch less NFL (pansy game that it is) and write more often!!

Chris Tilling said...

Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you; must be a lovely feeling holding it at last as a book.
Well done, mate.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

My dear friend. Congratulations! I would love to read it.

cel

thunderbeard said...

man, i'd love to get my hands on that bad boy. if only i weren't poor.

sean

Nate Mihelis said...

Congrats! I'm particularly anticipating the next volume on Paul and Justification. BTW what about #5 the NT Theology? :-)

Mark Goodacre said...

Congratulations, Michael. I'm looking forward to it too. In so far as I have some slight voice under your Number 8, thanks!

On the writing front, please don't over stretch yourself. Bear in mind that each book may well be better if you give yourself more time for reflection.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Congrats mate!

Ben Myers said...

Well done, Mike! That's wonderful news -- and I wasn't expecting to see it released until 2007!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news, Mike. It must be a wonderful feeling to see something that you labored over to produce finally arrive in the world to influence a generation of Jesus scholars. Well done my friend.
I look forward to your future books as well.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Congrats! I couldn't face the enormous task of revising my dissertation for publication as a book--broke it up into several different articles instead. I finally published my first book this past year and am working on my second--both are more for laity than are scholarly.

I will try to check yours out--so many books, so little time!

Anonymous said...

Well done Mike,
Hope you sell a million copies (and tithe) :) _
Steve in Australia

abcaneday said...

Congratulations!