Monday, May 05, 2008
Bob Jewett to Visit Melbourne
Robert Jewett is due to visit the Bible College of Victoria (Melbourne, Australia) for a day of lectures on Romans and Paul on the 10th of June 2008. If you're in Melbourne try to get yourself to that event.
On the subject of Romans, in reflection, my top five 'modern' commentaries on Romans would be:
1. Robert Jewett (Hermeneia). - judicious and thorough in everything from the text of Romans to exegetical comment and background.
2. Doug Moo (NICNT) - good evangelical commentary with great interactions on theological aspects of Romans and responses to the New Perspective.
3. James D. G. Dunn (WBC) - the quintessential new perspective commentary on Romans.
4. N.T. Wright (NIB) - like him or despise him, he writes well and stimulates the mind and heart about Paul, Christ, and God.
5. C.E.B. Cranfield (ICC) - The strength of Cranfield's commentary is his theological interaction with Barth and that he speaks Greek with a genevan accent.
Mention in despatches for Kaesemann, Stuhlmacher, Schreiner, and Schlatter. If you're talking ancient commentaries on Romans it is hard to go past Origen, Ambrosiaster, and Augustine. I don't know about Reformed Romans commentaries yet (I'm about to teach a Master's Course on Romans in the Reformed Tradition) but I hope to investigate this in the near future.