Monday, July 18, 2005

New Testament Theology



I took time out from my study (I’m beginning to tire of reading about Gentiles) to read an article on NT theology by Andreas Köstenberger . A German-born Baptist (although he sadly does not have red hair) who teaches at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. His commentary on John is well worth buying, I like it better than Keener’s recent volume! The article is:

“Diversity and Unity in the New Testament”, in Biblical Theology, ed. Scott J. Hafemann (Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2002) 200-23.

It was a good read and he briefly covers some key issues in NT study such as:

1. The relationship between Jesus and Paul.
2. The Synoptics and John
3. The Paul of Acts and the Paul of the Epistles
4. Alleged developments in Paul
5. Paul and Peter, John, James and other Voices in the NT
6. The Center of the NT

I particularly liked section 6 where Kostenberger sees the unity of the NT in three key areas:

1. The one God
2. Jesus the Christ, the Exalted Lord
3. The Gospel

I like his quote (p. 156): “The gospel of Jesus Christ is one of the major integrative glues of Scripture”.

My favourite NT Theology works

D.A. Carson, “New Testament Theology”, in DLNTD [good place to start]
James Dunn, Unity and Diversity in the New Testament [must be reckoned with]
George Caird, New Testament Theology [magisterial]
Peter Balla, Challenges to New Testament Theology [answers criticisms of guys like Raisanen]

I haven’t read I. Howard Marshall yet, but I imagine that it would be high on my favourites soon enough. I’m also hoping to live long enough to see Ben Witherington’s NT Theology (which he told me he is planning to do after he has written a commentary on EVERY NT letter!).

2 comments:

Scot McKnight said...

Andreas is Austrian.
You'll soon be adding Stuhlmacher's 2-volume (ET) NT Theology to your list. I hope someone translates Gnilka's as well.

Alan Bandy said...

Thanks for your review. He is my esteemed mentor. His scholarship, exegetical acumen, and eye for biblical theology has influenced me in such a way that I will always owe a debt of gratitude.

P.S. My prayers are with you durning the next few days.