Monday, February 06, 2006

Books for Beginners

In a follow up to my good friend Ben Myer's Easier Things to Read before going to college or seminary, I include my own list (at least for NT studies):

Bruce Metzger, The Text of the New Testament
Gordon Fee, New Testament Exegesis
William Mounce, Basics for Biblical Greek
Everett Ferguson, Backgrounds of Early Christianity
Gerd Theissen & Annette Merz, The Historical Jesus
Craig L. Blomberg, Jesus and the Gospels
Michael Gorman, Apostle of the Crucified Lord
I. Howard Marshall, et. al, Exploring the NT volume 2: Letters and Revelation Richard Bauckham, Theology of Revelation
G.B. Caird, New Testament Theology

5 comments:

Dave Lynch said...

Looking for a commentary on Matthew, has anyone read...

The Gospel of Matthew:
A Commentary on the Greek Text (NIGTC)
John Nolland

Sorry to just insert this here, feel free to recommend others. Also has anyone read the Brazos commentary by Pelikan on Acts, I see Hauerwas is scheduled for Matthew.

Michael F. Bird said...

Dave, I think Jason Hood has commented on it somewhere.

Anonymous said...

This is a reasonable list but I am afraid new students will be able to absorb Theissen and Mertz's work. It is a little technical .Anyhow, your list is very helpful to new students in the field of New Testament Studies. I would add Bock's Work, Jesus According to Scripture and His "Studying the Historical Jesus" and Stein's Jesus the Messiah.

Anonymous said...

What? No NTW?!!!!! You're slipping Mike, I can hear him sobbing. I love it!

Have fun in the snow!

Sean said...

BEFORE YOU GO TO SEMINARY? Will people actually read these books BEFORE? I would say most of them assume far to much, and that your beginning student will probably drown... Marshall and Blomberg will possibly be alright, but I'm not convinced about the rest... ???