Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Temptations of Jesus - Part I

I'm just finished work on an article on the "Temptation of Jesus" and I thought I would write a few posts on the topic. I would like to preface the posts with two observations:

First, go to the website of the Christian parody band Apologetix, and listen to the song "Devil Went Down to Jordan" sung to the tune of "Devil went Down to Georgia" - it will blow your mind. You might want buy the album.

Here are the lyrics:

The devil went down to the Jordan
He was lookin' for a show to steal
He was in a bind 'cause Jesus came to find
The people willing to make it real
And he came upon the Son of Man
Saw He had no vittles and was prayin' to God
Then the devil jumped upon the chance to tempt Him
Said "Boy, let me tell ya, it's hot!"
"I guess you didn't know it but I'm a vittle craver too
"And kid I'm scared this desert air might get the best of you
"Now you ain't been eatin' your vittles boy
"But, kid, your dinner is due
"So if you're really God's son, then turn these stones
To bread and I'll butter it for you."
The Lord said, "I am hungry, but that would be a sin
"Cause it ain't by bread man's gonna be fed
"But by the Word God's given him."
John the Baptist washed the Lord and there's where it all starts
Cause Jesus left the Jordan and the devil hit Him hard
And if He wins we get to walk on Heaven's streets of gold
But if He sins, the devil gets your soul
The devil took Him up in space and said, "Christ, start to throw
"Yourself off of this temple top as I'm watchin' from below
"Cause I'm sure You know that God will bring
“All His angels to assist
“And then men would believe that You're Him
“If they saw You did something like this"
When the devil finished, Jesus said
"Well, you're temptin' God, old son
And it's written down in that book right there
That thing shouldn't ever be done”
Shout from the mountain what God's done
The devil ain't a match for the rising Son
You can never tempt God, did you not know
Man, he doesn't live by bread alone
The devil finally said, "Jesus, if You'll just worship me
Then I’ll give you gold that glitters
All these crowns, and all You see"
Jesus said, "Devil, just turn on back
Cause I'm never gonna buy your scam
I love God too much, I'm gonna resist
I'd suggest you'd better scram!"
And we say
CHORUS


You can listen to the song HERE (on the left-hand side bar).

Second, while you're listening to that consider the following: John Milton's work Paradise Regained is not set at Calvary, but in Jesus' wilderness temptations as the point where the fall and curse of Adam is undone.

1 comment:

Ben Myers said...

Yes, that is a very interesting aspect of Milton's Paradise Regained which has attracted quite a bit of critical discussion.