Monday, June 05, 2006

ETS Paper Accepted

I've had a paper accepted at the Evangelical Theological Society meeting in Washington.

The paper is entitled, Meeting the New Perspective Half-Way: Jew-Gentile Relationships and Justification by Faith in Paul.

Here's a foretaste:

I enjoy asking my undergraduate students why or for what purpose did Christ become accursed on the cross in Gal. 3.13? My students always reply with something along the lines of “so that we might be forgiven, so we could be redeemed, have peace with God, and have eternal life, etc”. I then ask them, what did Paul think was the purpose of Christ being cursed? The answer of course is provided in Gal. 3.14, “in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit”. Whereas my students always answer in terms of individual, vertical, soterilogy; Paul’s answer is along the lines of corporate, horizontal, pneumatology and ecclesiology. Whatever the failings of the New Perspective, and there are a few, I suspect that they on the right track on some points.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. Congratulations !

Matthew D. Montonini said...

Mike,
I look forward to hearing what you will say!
Congrats!

abcaneday said...

Echoes of my dissertation. ;)

Cynthia R. Nielsen said...

Congrats Mike! Will you blog more about the conference and paper upon your return?

Cheers,
Cynthia