Sunday, June 01, 2008
Book on Marriage and Family
In a few weeks I will be teaching a week long intensive course at North Park Theological Seminary on Ministry with Families. In preparation for the course I have read some good books on the issue and I would recommend a couple.
Edited by Ken M. Campbell
Published by IVP
The book is comprised of four chapters dealing with the topic of Marriage and Family in the various historical contexts relevant for biblical studies as well as two chapters on the Old and New Testaments teaching.
1. Marriage and Family in the Ancient Near East by Victor H. Matthews
2. Marriage and Family in Ancient Israel by Daniel Block
3. Marriage and Family in Ancient Greek Society by S. M. Baugh
4. Marriage and Family in Roman Society by Susan Treggiari
5. Marriage and Family in Second Temple Judaism by David W. Chapman
6. Marriage and Family in the New Testament by Andreas Köstenberger.
The book provides a solidly researched and accessible presentation of the topic of marriage and family in the ancient world. While some will no doubt notice the complementarian bent with Daniel Block and Andreas Köstenberger's contributions, the other essays reflect no overt interpretive agenda since they are primarily descriptive in nature. Block and Köstenberger provide useful summaries in one place of the two testament's teaching on marriage and family. This resource could be useful for pastors and seminary professors.