Friday, August 05, 2005

Biblical Theology

What is biblical theology? Is it theology which is biblical over and against theology which is scholastic and dogmatic? I've heard and read various definitions. As a first year undergrad, I once attended a seminar on the topic and came away more confused than anything. But the best definition to date that I have read comes from Brian S. Rosner in his introductory entry in New Dictionary of Biblical Theology. Rosner defines it as:

To sum up, biblical theology may be defined as theological interpretation of Scripture in and for the church. It proceeds with historical and literary sensitivity and seeks to analyse and synthesize the Bible's teaching about God and his relations to the world on its own terms, maintianing sight of the Bible's overaching narrative and Christocentric focus. (p. 10).


I could not have put it better myself.

No comments: